BEST Hospitality Training is an employment at-will organization and an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
BEST Hospitality Training is fully committed to providing opportunities that promote diversity, growth, and a professional work environment. We encourage you to review our open positions below and we thank you for your interest!
Please visit our volunteer page to learn about our stipend-based service positions!
Career Coach, Mel King Empowerment Program (MKEP) Lead Job Description – expected hire date fall 2017
BEST Hospitality Training is seeking a dynamic, results-oriented individual to serve as a Career Coach and lead for our Mel King Empowerment Program (MKEP). The individual selected will play an important role in our organization’s mission, which is to provide individuals with the education, skills, and training to succeed in the hospitality industry and in their personal lives.
In addition to his/her accountabilities as a Career Coach, this individual will be responsible for developing and executing a work plan and meeting targets as outlined in grant proposals specific to Boston’s low income, US-born population. He/she will gather information from other community organization on best practices, recommend curriculum revisions, assist with the implementation of retention activities, and document all activity in our database.
Key responsibilities and duties:
- Internal: Work closely with BEST staff to provide a high level of service coordination, support, and job placement and job retention assistance for clients. Communicate proactively with staff and other partners in performing all accountabilities.
- Career coaching: Provide students with on-going individual career counseling and employment preparation coaching. Assist students to identify and overcome barriers to training completion, job placement, and retention. Self-manage a client caseload, maintaining an appropriate level of contact with clients based on their needs, goals, and employment status, and ensuring quality and timely submission of students’ applications.
- Outreach and screening: Promote positions in the Boston hotel industry to Boston’s low-income neighborhoods as quality career jobs. Recruit candidates, particularly US-born and under age 30. Conduct intake interviews to screen clients and determine program compatibility.
- Teaching: Conduct career development training and workshops to prepare students for entry-level positions in the hospitality industry. Training topics include but are not limited to: interviewing skills, professionalism, cultural diversity, customer service training, workplace success strategies, and business communications. Revise curriculum to best meet the needs of youth and the US-born.
- Mentoring program: Assist with implementation of mentorship program for new placements.
- Data: Track and report career coaching activities and outcomes using our Salesforce.com organizational database.
- Run monthly and quarterly database reports to analyze coaching outcomes against goals. Flag areas of concern (in terms of benchmarks and outcomes) for the career coaching team.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Keep up-to-date on information on hospitality career pathways and establish positive working relationships with Human Resources managers to meet hiring needs with qualified applicants.
- Network with other workforce development professionals to learn and share best practices; participate in professional development activities
- Carry out special projects, outreach, and additional duties as assigned by manager.
- 4+ years related work experience. Previous experience in recruitment preferred and knowledge of apprenticeship programs and private industry experience desirable.
- Direct service experience working with job seekers.
- Fluent in English with the ability to communicate orally and in writing at a business level.
- Excellent communication skills with positive and enthusiastic demeanor.
- Experience meeting goals in a team-based, results-oriented environment. Self-motivated and self-directed with ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and projects and thrive in fast-paced, changing environment.
- Strong customer service orientation toward clients, stakeholders and co-workers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well with diverse student population.
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft Office suite with an emphasis on MS Work, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience in data entry, tracking, and analysis.
- Excellent organizational skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include occasional evenings.
- Familiarity with the hospitality industry and its career pathways preferr
Interested candidates should send a resume and thoughtful cover letter to:
Shery B. Murphy, Manager, Career Coaching Program