BEST’s is a nonprofit organization with a mission to provide individuals with the education, skills, and training to excel in the hospitality industry and in their personal lives. We do this through a variety of services that include job-specific skills training programs and access to educational courses (ESOL, computers, skills certifications) supported by career and academic coaching. BEST’s partnerships include its primary funder and partner UNITE HERE Local 26, participating employers, public and private funders, and community organizations.
BEST Hospitality Training is an employment-at-will organization and an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
BEST Hospitality Training is fully committed to providing opportunities that promote diversity, growth, and a professional work environment. Please review our open positions below.
Employment Specialist – Temporary, Part-Time Position
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports: Director of Employment Services
In response to the high unemployment of hospitality workers due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a virtual call center will be set up and staffed with English-speaking as well as bilingual Employment Specialists, to provide individualized job search assistance to these unemployed workers. Employment Specialists will receive 25-hours of skills training in order to provide this job search assistance. Each Employment Specialist will be a temporary, part-time employee and will be assigned a 25-hour/week schedule. This initiative will last for 14 weeks.
Working remotely, Employment Specialists will field phone calls from individuals to provide job search assistance as follows:
- Assistance with setting up an email account if the individual does not have one.
- Answering questions about resumes; assisting in creating a resume if necessary.
- Assisting with questions regarding navigating to employer career sites, finding relevant jobs, and submitting online applications.
- Providing referrals to other career resources (e.g. MassHire).
- Providing referrals to other agencies, as appropriate, for other support.
- Answer basic questions about unemployment.
- Log interactions with individuals in database.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Boston residency required.
- Excellent computer skills with Wi-Fi access and high proficiency in Microsoft Office suite with an emphasis on MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google applications required. Phone required.
- Excellent organizational skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency in English language with the ability to communicate orally. Second language proficiency in Haitian Creole, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, or Cantonese extremely desirable.
- Excellent communication skills with positive and enthusiastic demeanor.
- Self-motivated and self-directed with ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and thrive in demanding environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well with diverse population.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Private industry experience desirable.
- Familiarity with online application processes desirable.
- Visual acuity in order to view a computer terminal.
Candidates who meet the Boston residency requirement may express their interest in being considered for these opportunities by emailing their resume or letter of interest to:
Shery Murphy, Director of Employment Services, BEST Hospitality Training