Introduction to Hospitality, Housekeeping Pre-Apprenticeship and Apprenticeship Programs
To apply for the programs, attend an in-person information session at:
101 Station Landing, 4th Floor, Medford
- June 1, 2023 at 3 PM
- June 8, 2023 at 3 PM
Omni Boston Hotel at the Seaport, 450 Summer St., Boston (enter hotel from World Trade Center Ave., go down escalator and through glass tunnel to training center door on the left)
- June 5, 2023 at 11 AM
- June 12, 2023 at 11 AM
To view and distribute our flyer, click here.
BEST’s pre-apprenticeship program is called the Introduction to Hospitality, Housekeeping Pre-Apprenticeship Program. This 150 hour, six-week, full time pre-apprenticeship program, trains participants for positions in hotel housekeeping departments. The related classroom instruction includes components such as hands-on skills training in a model hotel room, ergonomics, chemical safety and blood-borne pathogens, cross-cultural communication skills, customer service, professionalism, computer skills, interview skills, hotel branding and job shadowing. Upon completion, participants work with career coaches on their job search. Graduates receive a Massachusetts Department of Labor Housekeeping Pre-Apprenticeship credential. An articulation agreement between Bunker Hill Community College and BEST awards 9 college credits to pre-apprentice graduates pursuing a hospitality certificate or associates degree upon completion of their prior learning assessment portfolio.
Housekeeping Apprenticeship: Graduates of BEST’s pre-apprenticeship program seek hotel housekeeping positions in partner hotels. Many of BEST’s hotel partners are signatory employers to the UNITE HERE Local 26 collective bargaining agreement, but not all. Upon hire, graduates begin their on the job training 2,000-hour apprenticeship. BEST works closely with the hotels and the graduates during the apprenticeship. Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, graduates earn a nationally recognized certification from the Massachusetts Department of Labor and 3 additional credits at Bunker Hill Community College.
The next Introduction to Hospitality, Housekeeping Pre-Apprenticeship will run from June 23, 2023 to August 4, 2023.
To be eligible, candidates must:
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Available to attend class that meets M-F, 9 AM – 2 PM, in-person and virtual for 6 weeks.
- Available to attend job shadowing 7 AM – 5 PM for a few days during the 6-week class.
- Able to communicate well in English at an intermediate level.
- Able and willing to work a rotating, flexible schedule that includes every Saturday, Sunday, and holiday.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds, push 250 pounds, and stand for at least 4 hours without assistance.
- Able to pass an employer background and drug test.
- Able to begin work immediately upon graduation.
Please watch our information session here to learn more.
- Cycle 1: January 6 – February 17
- Cycle 2: March 3 – April 14
- Cycle 3: April 28 – June 9
- Cycle 4: June 23 – August 4