BEST Hospitality Training is a non-profit workforce development organization focused on the hospitality and healthcare industries and affiliated with UNITE HERE Local 26. It is our goal to prepare and place our students into quality jobs, namely jobs that provide living wages, benefits, and career pathways.
Online ESL/Computer/Citizenship Tutors Needed
Boston Education, Skills & Training (BEST) is looking for volunteers to work one-on-one with adult immigrants to improve their English and computer skills, and prepare for the US citizenship test.
If you’re fluent in English, interested in education, and passionate about helping others, this is a wonderful opportunity! Volunteers will be supported by a volunteer coordinator and provided a wealth of resources. We ask you to please make a commitment ranging from 30-60 minutes per week for a minimum of six months. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable teaching skills, learn about other cultures, and empower students in the community.
Main Responsibilities (depending on volunteer interest):
- Providing one-on-one online tutoring to students in English, citizenship, or computer skills
- Assisting teachers in online English, citizenship, or computer classes
Experience that is helpful, but not required:
- Tutoring or teaching experience
- Familiarity using virtual meeting platforms and online tools
- Knowledge of a second language
All volunteers participate in an online volunteer orientation. If interested, please complete this form. For any questions, please contact Huiling Chen.
New American Integration Program AmeriCorps Member
BEST Hospitality Training would like to welcome four NAIP AmeriCorps members to our team in September 2022. We are a small but well-regarded workforce development nonprofit, focused on the well-paid sector of Boston’s hospitality industry. We are poised for growth as the industry rebounds post-Covid. We consider ourselves a social justice organization; We partner with UNITE HERE Local 26, the hospitality workers union, and believe that quality jobs change people’s lives.
BEST has hosted NAIP AmeriCorps members since their inaugural cohort in 2011. We have hired almost half of the members after their year of service at BEST.
- AmeriCorps members at BEST will teach (ESL and US citizenship preparation) and/or provide career coaching services.
- Teachers will follow BEST’s curriculum and plan lessons, develop new curricula, recruit, assess and support BEST students.
- Career coaching will include helping clients develop resumes, prepare for job interviews, assist with online job applications, assist with intake and screening and more.
- Update client information in BEST’s Salesforce for Nonprofits database.
- Attend weekly department and organization-wide meetings.
- Attend monthly NAIP meetings.
- Make a full-time, 11-month commitment.
- NAIP AmeriCorps members will serve remotely and/or in-person at our Medford or Seaport locations, depending on client demand.
- Interest and comfort working with immigrants and the unemployed and under-employed.
- Strong tech skills or a willingness to learn. We use Google Classroom, Zoom, Slack, Google apps, Salesforce for Nonprofits.
- Experience teaching and/or coaching is helpful.
- Second language a plus.
- Strong English reading and writing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Customer service experience a plus.
- The position will primarily be remote at first, but there is the possibility of in-person service as the pandemic subsides. Ability to travel to Medford (Wellington Station on the Orange Line) and/or Boston’s Seaport District (Silver line or South Station).
BEST is a Mac-based organization and we will provide a Mac laptop to all AmeriCorps members for their term of service. We provide many professional development opportunities for our members, including attendance at the annual MCAE (Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education) Network Conference.